Translate

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Bad Start to the Week

The weekend was not a bad one. A bit rushed, as month-end weekends are, but pretty uneventful. On Monday, all that changed. Now most of my regular readers know I've been diagnosed with heart failure in 2012, and is permanently on oxygen. I can go without oxygen for a short while, as long as I stay calm and don't move around a lot.

Just after 13:00, on Monday, I heard a commotion from next door. Turns out my neighbor had a break-in, and was tied up for more than three hours. All this happened less than 50 meters from my study where I was working the whole morning. Her daughter's boyfriend was the one causing the commotion, as he could not get into the house, and shouted for help.

I went around, without my portable cylinder (which was locked in my car at the time), and did so faster than I have moved in years. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt (my neighbor was shook up, and bleeding from the mouth - they gagged her), and a number of items were stolen. The police (after The Wife called them) were remarkably quick onto the scene.

But that's where my problems started. Being without oxygen, and worked up as I was, I felt like crap once the adrenaline worked out. I was still very weak and tired yesterday, but started feeling like a human being again today.We're just thankful nobody was seriously hurt. End result? We are now at the wall between us and the neighbors every once in a while, checking up on her!



Last week the wife gave me an idea. From now on, once a week, I will post a recipe. The recipes will not be my own. It may be something new The Wife tried, or it may be something I discovered on one of the countless sites I frequent. So, to start of this week, I decided to not do a recipe, but rather what I call a Cheat.

One of my favorite condiments is mayonnaise. I've tried quite a number of banting mayo's, and although I've found a number of them that tasted quite nice, none of them could replace the original. So I convinced The Wife we should return to it, seeing that we use very little mayo, and use it seldom as well. The reason we don't use regular mayo on banting is not because of its carb-levels. Regular mayo is full of the bad fats, those fats that have too much Omega 6 and very little (if any) Omega 3. And a while ago The Wife had a brilliant idea.

We mixed our mayo with double-fat plain yoghurt. We did the mix on a 1-1 ratio, and was surprised by the result. The mayo did not change in taste or texture at all. If anything, it became more creamy. So now we get even less of the bad fats in when we use mayo. Next time we use mayo, I will play around with the ratio's, and see how high a percentage yoghurt I can add before losing that mayo taste.

Now, for the weight loss totals. I lost 1.9 kg, but The Wife picked up 1.4 kg. However, I do believe she is holding water back. Two weeks ago she lost a lot of weight when she used some of my water pills. The doctor placed her on water pills, but a slight problem on MedExpress meant she only received her medication this week Monday. I believe she will show a huge loss again this coming weekend.

Eldest lost 0.6 kg, bringing a halt to her last two weeks of slight gains, while Youngest continued losing, this time chucking away 0.7 kg!

Till next week, and Happy Banting!

No comments:

Post a Comment