Translate

Monday 23 February 2015

Ideal Weight and BMI

Last week I was gently reprimanded for not listing my sources when I use them in my blog. I tend to cut and paste interesting bits from pages I come across into a word document, and don't always save the source. Some of what I find I use, some I don't (and some I use only after a while). I will now copy the source as well, so when I do use other sources I can now list them for you for reference.

Anyway, today I want to talk about BMI, and Fat %. The BMI scale is outdated, and frankly, should never have been used at all. If you follow it to the letter, each and every NFL Football player is obese. The same will be true for most rugby players, and most athletes who participate in strength-based sports.

For an example, let's look at Dave Bautista. He made name for himself as a WWE Heavyweight wrestler. He also competed on the MMA circuit, and is currently in acting. Anybody who has seen Dave without a shirt would say, if anything, he has too little body fat. Yet, taking his height (1.98 m) and weight (126 kg), the BMI Calculator lists him as Obese Class I, with a BMI of 32.

Now if this does not show you how flawed the BMI calculation is, nothing will. So, what other way is there? The only thing I could find is using a Fat Calculator to find your current body fat, and measure it against the table below.

DescriptionMenWomen
Essential Fat2-5%10-13%
Athletes6-13%14-20%
Fitness14-17%21-24%
Acceptable18-24%25-31%
Obese25%+32%+

Is this a better way than using BMI? I do not know. It may be just as flawed as the BMI calculations, or it may not be. In the end, I don't think there is such a thing as a true ideal weight calculator. The weight you feel most comfortable with, I believe, is your ideal weight. Your body will know what is best for itself. So, in the end, use BMI or the Fat Calculator, or both even, but only as a guideline. Listen to what your body tells you. If you find a weight you are comfortable with, and your body can easily maintain that weight while on LCHF, you have your personal ideal weight!


This week I learned a lesson - don't try to cheat the scale. It will only come back and bite you! It did me, anyway. After the incredible loss two weeks ago, I picked up 0.3 kg last week. The Wife was the biggest loser, dropping a nice 1.9 kg.

Eldest dropped a round 1 kg, making up for the 0.5 kg she picked up the previous week, while Youngest continued her run and lost another 1.4 kg.

Till next week, and Happy Banting!

No comments:

Post a Comment